Every year we as Americans celebrate with fireworks, parades, barbecues, carnivals, fairs, picnics, concerts, baseball games and family gatherings. The Rogue Valley is no exception. Here are my favorites:
Here are a few FREE spots to watch them:
- Southern Oregon University fields at dark
- Why see fireworks on their own when you can see them complete with the booming brass of the American Band College? Goes down at Ashland High School Stadium at 8 p.m.
- Josephine County Fairgrounds (1451 Fairgrounds Road, Grants Pass). From 7 p.m.-10 p.m. The local band Sound Stage Revue performs and the fireworks light the sky.
- Red, white and boom at the Jackson County Fairgrounds (1 Peninger Road, Central Point) at dark. But wait, there's more! Starting at 5:30 p.m., they have fair food, games, jump houses for the kids and music for the adults. That goes all the way until midnight.
2. EAGLE POINT FUN RUN
Eagle Point’s 10th Annual Betty Ann Marlia Memorial Fun Run offers 5k, one mile and courses, both beginning and ending on Main Street in front of the city’s flag poles. The race starts at 8 a.m. Race day registrations will be accepted from 7 a.m.-7:45 a.m. $25.
3. CENTRAL POINT PARADE
Central Point’s Fourth of July extravaganza is an effusive celebration of community pride, with bands, gloats, local politicians, tractors cars and more. This year’s parade emcee is Kingsley Kelley, VP & General Manager at KTVL Channel 10. The route will run down 2nd St. to Pine and 8th. The parade will start at 9:30 a.m., after which there is a street fair. After the run, Pfaff park will be packed with food vendors, a beer garden, kids activities and live country and blues music from 11 a.m.- 5p.m.
4. LITHIA PARK BANDSHELL PERFORMANCES
Starting at noon, and running until 4:30 p.m., there will be a patriotic music from the city band and others. There will also be readings of The Declaration of Independence and The Gettysburg Address.
5. JACKSONVILLE ALL-TOWN INDEPENDENCE DAY PICNIC
Friends, family, the whole town...picnic with them all in Jacksonville! The picnicking goes down from 11 a.m.-2 p.m.